After a family member passes away we recommend looking for a freight company or a small load mover that can ship belongings anywhere in the world.
In Houston freight companies can pack precious items, provide custom crate building or build a custom pallet in order to ship furniture. A company that handles custom freight preparation can build a platform to ship mattresses, head boards, foot boards and other furniture that needs to go to family members. You can look for a company that handles both packing and unpacking services. Funeral homes often offer recommendations for moving companies. Shipping an estate can be handled in various ways.
You should be able to ship belongings to various family members throughout the United States. For unwanted items, the moving company should be able to give you names of estate sale companies. Some unwanted items may be able to be donated to local charities.
You will want to value the items that are being shipped, just in case of loss or damage. See if you have the original purchase receipt or have an appraisal handy. You can always check the internet to see what each item is selling for at the current time.
We have a few recommendations to follow when you are handling estate shipping for a family member or a friend.
- Decide ahead of time the items that you want to move to each family member. It will be less expensive to send everything at one time. Multiple moves or multiple shipments to the same city will cost you more money.
- The company that you choose for shipping should be able to pack and ship your artwork, furniture and automobiles.
- Make sure that the shipping company can move belongings both domestically and internationally. They should have the capability to move things to multiple locations throughout the United States.
- See if they can offer either curbside or inside delivery. If curbside delivery on a pallet is less expensive, this may be the option that you should choose.
- Is the shipping company insisting that they pack everything, or are the offering you options. Are they willing to sell you boxes and packing materials so that you can pack the items that are not delicate so that you can save on some of the packing charges.
At pack n send in Houston, we pick up, pack and ship for our customers. Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.